Vogue 73 questions non-vlog
You may have seen this Vogue’s 73 questions thing that’s making its way around the interweb. Most people answer them in vlog form, but because:
a) I have no idea how to edit a video
b) I’m too impatient to watch most other people’s vlogs to the end, so I can’t exactly expect them to watch one of mine (That’s not an insult to vloggers – I blame the internet for giving me a stupidly short attention span. And I’m not alone. Apparently, the most popular videos on YouTube are around 3 minutes long or shorter.)
c) All of my child-free time is spent either at work or in my pajamas after the Popple has gone to bed, which no one needs to see
I am answering the questions in boring ol’ blog form.
I was tagged for the challenge by the fabulous Ellen from Babies, Biscuits & Booze. You should stop reading this and go check her stuff out now. She’s one of the loveliest people in the blog world.
Anyway, onto the questions.
- What’s your favourite movie? Dirty Dancing or Sister Act II, which I love totally unironically.
- Favourite movie in the past five years? Room. I loved the book and just watched the film recently. It’s really well done but…intense.
- Favourite Hitchcock film? Err…Rear Window? I saw that one once, maybe.
- A book you plan on reading? Hag-Seed by Margaret Atwood.
- A book that you read in school that positively shaped you? Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I’ve written about how important that book was to me as a writer in this post.
- Favourite TV show that’s currently on? Black Mirror, even though each episode freaks me out more than the one before.
- On a scale of one to ten, how excited are you about life right now? Let’s go with a solid 6-7.
- iPhone or Android? iPhone for now, but there is a big chunk of the screen missing, so I’ll probably have to start using Adrian’s old Android phone soon.
- Twitter or Instagram? Twitter. I’ve resisted Instagram so far, mostly because of this This American Life episode. I’m heavily influenced by middle-class public radio.
- Who should EVERYONE be following right now? Check out The Secret Diary of Agent Spitback. She’s a brilliant writer and totally unique.
- What’s your favourite food? CHEESE.
- Least favourite food? Meat. I’ve been a vegetarian (mostly) for nearly 20 years. Also, raw tomatoes are the worst.
- What do you love on your pizza? CHEESE.
- Favourite drink? Processo and sparkling water.
- Favourite dessert? Ben & Jerry’s eaten straight out of the tub.
- Dark chocolate or milk chocolate? Dark chocolate.
- Coffee or tea? Coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon.
- What’s the hardest part about being a mum? The loss of freedom. I miss being able to go for improptu drinks with friends. Plan a last-minute holiday. Pee alone.
- What’s your favourite band? These days, it’s the Atención Atención band, thanks to the Popple’s love of Puerto Rican children’s music.
- Favourite solo artist? Billy Joel, because I’m from Long Island, so it’s kind of required.
- Favourite song? Sweet Child O’ Mine, because it’s the first song Adrian and I danced to at our wedding. Note: this is not, as we quickly discovered, a very good dancing song. Kick ass guitar solo, though.
- If you could sing a duet with anyone, who would it be? Beyoncé, even though that would be totally embarrassing for both of us.
- If you could master one instrument, what would it be? The zylophone. No wait, I ALREADY HAVE. I’m basically a zylophone genius.
- If you had a tattoo, where would it be? I have no idea. I have no plans to tattoo myself ever.
- To be or not to be? That is the question.
- Dogs or cats? Cats, even though the one I have is a real a-hole.
- Bird-watching or whale-watching? Whales, obviously. Birds are just dinosaurs with wings.
- Best gift you’ve ever received? The Popple. Awwww.
- Best gift you’ve ever given? A framed drawing of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles as archaeologists that I gave to Adrian for his birthday. My cousin designed it – and my blog header. She’s amazing. You can check out her work on the Jenny Haines site.
- Last gift you gave a friend? Flowers for a colleague who turned 40.
- What’s your favourite board game? Scrabble, even though I get really sulky when I lose.
- What’s your favourite country to visit? I love all the Scandinavian countries. So clean! So much social equality! So many attractive, athletic-looking blonde people!
- What’s the last country you visited? Ireland.
- What country do you wish to visit? Japan.
- What’s your favourite colour? Kelly Green.
- Least favourite colour? Puce (a sort of purplely-brown grossness).
- Diamonds or pearls? Don’t buy me either – I’ll just lose them.
- Heels or flats? Flats every time.
- Pilates or yoga? Yoga because you get to lie down on the floor at the end.
- Jogging or swimming? Swimming – not that I’m that keen to put on my swimsuit, which I bought in 2010 and is somehow both too small AND too big.
- Best way to de-stress: Veronica Mars TV marathon with a tub of Ben & Jerry’s.
- If you had one superpower, what would it be? Invisibility, so I could people watch all sneaky-like.
- What’s the weirdest word in the English language? Discombobulated.
- What’s your favourite flower? Gorse, those yellow flowers that smell like coconut.
- When was the last time you cried? This weekend when the Popple was throwing all of the tantrums at me.
- Do you like your handwriting? God, no.
- Do you bake? Badly.
- What is your least favourite thing about yourself? My social awkwardness.
- What is your most favourite thing about yourself? My sense of humour.
- Who do you miss most? My family back in America.
- What are you listening to right now? The sound of Adrian washing the dishes. Music to my ears.
- Favourite smell? Freshly brewed coffee.
- Who was the last person you talked to on the phone? Work people – a big conference call where no one was really paying attention.
- Who was the last person you sent a text to? Adrian – “If we’re eating baby-free, wine?”
- A sport you wish you could play? Roller derby – man, I miss getting knocked over all the time.
- Hair colour? Brown with reddish and golden streaks. My hair colour is great. My hair itself is a frizzy mess.
- Eye colour? Green.
- Scary film or happy endings? Happy endings, even though that sounds kind of…wrong.
- Favourite season? Autumn.
- Three people alive or dead that you would like to have dinner with? Tina Fey, Barack Obama, David Sedaris.
- Hugs or kisses? Hugs, because the Popple gives the best ones.
- Rolling Stones or the Beatles? The Beatles are more musically significant, but the Stones rock WAY harder.
- Where were you born? Long Island, New York.
- What is the farthest you have been from home? Slovakia, maybe? Damn, I need to get out more.
- Sweet or savoury? Savoury followed by a little bit of sweet.
- Lipstick or lip gloss? Lip gloss.
- What book have you read again and again? Me Talk Pretty One Day. Seriously, go read this book.
- Favourite bedtime story? Pajama Time by Sandra Boynton. Pajama to the left. Pajama to the right. Jamma jamma jamma jamma P! J!
- What would be the title of your autobiography? Americannae. (That’s American’t for all you non-Scots speakers)
- Favourite sound? The Popple’s laughter.
- Favourite animal? Owl.
- Who is your girl crush? Tina Fey.
- Last photograph you took? The Popple dragging a hummus and yogurt-covered spoon through her hair.
I haven’t tagged anyone, but you know the drill. Answer the questions if you want to – I love learning more about the bloggers behind the blogs.