What are you supposed to do with a 9-month-old all day?
“The days are long but the years are short.”
People often cite this quote when talking about parenting. And it’s true. While in a sense the past 9 months have flown by, the days often feel very f***ing long indeed. Especially lately. Sometimes it seems like the Popple and I have done an entire day’s worth of activities, and then I look at the clock and it’s only 11am and I want to weep into my cold tea.
Here’s my problem – how do you keep a very active but still not independently mobile baby entertained all day?
Seriously. I need advice.
Here are things that the Popple likes:
- Walking. Everywhere. Constantly.
- Following the cat around the house.
- Everyday objects – TV remotes, flyers that have come through the letterbox for takeaways and local handymen, things she’s fished out of the recycling bin, etc.
- Things that make noise when she shakes them or bangs them against the table.
- Books, especially turning the pages herself when she gets bored with the story.
- Things that open and close, like boxes, drawers and hampers.
- Licking stuff, ie the window/chair/some stranger’s handbag.
Things the Popple dislikes:
- Sitting for more than 5 minutes.
- Crawling. She can’t/won’t do it.
- Any structured activity (ie most baby classes) where she’s not allowed to get up and run over to the other side of the room if she wants to. And she totally wants to.
- Almost all of her toys, except for a box of plastic shapes. And even then she only really likes the green triangle.
So – what would you suggest for Popple-friendly fun? I don’t care if these activities are indoor or outdoors, free or cost money, are educational or just entertaining. We just need stuff to do that doesn’t involve walking aimlessly from one part of the house to the other while she waves a cardboard toilet roll tube at the cat.