Donald Trump vs a baby
Well, he’s gone and done it. Donald Trump, a man who is basically word vomit with muppet hair, has out-Trumped himself.
He was mean to a baby.
At a rally in Virginia on Tuesday, a baby started crying. At first, he pretended not to care. “Don’t worry about that baby, I love babies so…I love babies, I hear that baby crying and I like it. I like it. What a baby! What a beautiful baby. Don’t worry (gestures at the baby’s mother in the audience). The mom’s running about like…don’t worry about you know. It’s young and beautiful and healthy and that’s what we want…”
But a few minutes later, when the baby hadn’t stopped crying, Trump changed his tune.
“Actually I was only kidding,” he said. “You can get the baby out of here.” Of the mother, who might have reasonably assumed that he didn’t mind the baby crying, because HE SAID HE LIKED IT, he said, “I think she really believed me that I love having a baby crying while I’m speaking. That’s OK. People don’t understand.”
As a father of five, Trump should know that babies have a tendency to cry at inopportune times. When you pick up your fork to eat dinner. While you’re on a crowded bus at rush hour. The second your head hits the pillow at night. Your baby doesn’t care that it’s not a good time for you. They want what they want when they want it, and they’re not afraid to let you know in the loudest way possible.
I’m sure the mother of that crying baby did everything that she could to get it to stop. She must have felt like she was failing at mothering in a very public way, and Trump kicking her out of the rally only added to her humiliation. In truth, she had nothing to be embarrassed about, other than the fact that she was at a Trump rally in the first place.
I don’t see how it’s possible to be a woman (or a man, or human being, really) and a Trump supporter. Here are actual things he’s said about women:
- “You know, it doesn’t really matter what [the media] write as long as you’ve got a young and beautiful piece of ass.” – interview with Esquire in 1991
- “Women have one of the great acts of all time. The smart ones act very feminine and needy, but inside they are real killers. The person who came up with the expression ‘the weaker sex’ was either very naive or had to be kidding. I have seen women manipulate men with just a twitch of their eye — or perhaps another body part.” – Trump: The Art of the Comeback, 1997
- “I mean, we could say politically correct that look doesn’t matter, but the look obviously matters. Like you wouldn’t have your job if you weren’t beautiful.” – Trump to a female reporter
- “It’s certainly not groundbreaking news that the early victories by the women on ‘The Apprentice’ were, to a very large extent, dependent on their sex appeal.” — How To Get Rich, 2004
- When lawyer Elizabeth Beck was meeting with Trump in 2011 and asked for a break to pump breast milk for her infant daughter, she described his reaction like this: “He got up, his face got red, he shook his finger at me and he screamed, ‘You’re disgusting, you’re disgusting,’ and he ran out of there.”
In Trump’s world, women are manipulative man-eaters who have to flirt and hair-toss their way to the top. God forbid they have the audacity to use their disgusting boobs to feed their crying babies.
I’m glad that I’m not in America while Trump shouts his way scarily close to the most powerful position in the country. If I was, here’s what I’d do.
- Find out where and when the next Trump rally was taking place.
- Convince as many mothers as I could to attend the rally with their babies and toddlers.
- Let the babies and toddlers go apes**t. Cry. Scream. Whine. Babble. Beg for rice cakes. We’d bring every annoying battery-operated toy that we could find and let our kids press all the buttons. Donald Trump’s hate and fearmongering would be drowned out by the sound of “Welcome to our learning farm, we have lots to show you.” On repeat. In stereo.